Nearly three weeks have now flown by since I accepted my new position as teacher librarian at Mira Costa High School, and I've already spent four days on the job this week. The list of things to learn about, decide about, and set up seems to be endless, but I'm reminding myself to take it one step at a time. To add to my personal "to do" list, my family and I are working on trying to sell our home and move closer to my new job to reduce what is currently a very long commute. So, I certainly have my plate full right now, but all with exhilarating tasks. Everyone I have met at Mira Costa and in the Manhattan Beach Unified School District -- administrators, teachers, parents, and students -- has been incredibly nice, helpful, and welcoming. I'm even delighted to be getting a "welcome" visit from the other Manhattan Beach USD library staff. They will be coming to visit me at my library after work on Tuesday.
I will be going over goals with my principal next week, but here is my preliminary list for the first month:
- Learn all the ins and outs of textbook distribution, and get the textbooks out to all students the first week of school.
- Establish library policies.
- Create a library brochure.
- Develop and deliver a live orientation for all freshmen.
- Develop a recorded orientation for sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- Organize routines for library volunteers.
- Develop a lively web presence, along with a library blog and wiki.
- Begin collaborative lessons with teachers.
- Finish Mockingjay. (I couldn't resist throwing that in, since I just got my copy this week and have been savoring each chapter so far. :) )
Do please feel free to comment with advice on other goals I should be including.
You'll notice that I still haven't decided how to rename or morph this blog. Ideas?
Just finished Mockingjay today - a really good read and end to the trilogy.ReplyDelete
How about TL no longer in the classroom, but where she should always be...